Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Russian Tweets

Interesting news from twitter last night saw M1 global calling for a match between Fedor and Cain Velasquez in Moscow!

Now I realize that this is pure fantasy for a variety of reasons but indulge me for a minute...that fight would be a great spectacle (especially in Russia) and a match up that lots of fans would love to see. Of course there is a less than 1% chance that it would happen, I don't think the UFC would ever co-promote with any other organisation and lets face it Fedor hardly catapulted himself back to relevance with a decision win over Jeff Monson last weekend. I'm sure that Dana will have some fun at M1's expense over this one.

The only potential positives about this fight from a UFC perspective (and I realize that I'm clutching at straws here) are;

1. Velasquez is no longer the champ, if he were to lose it wouldn't devalue the belt in any way by having the "champion" outside of the UFC

2. I imagine Russia would probably be a difficult market for the UFC to crack. A one off partnership with M1 might actually make sense here and could be great for building the UFC's profile in previously uncharted waters.

No comments:

Post a Comment