Monday, October 31, 2011

UFC 137 viewpoint

Well I got two out of my four picks right, which is why I rarely bet on MMA! UFC 137 was a decent card saved by an awesome main event. I have to say Nick Diaz was fantastic, better than I thought he would be. BJ had a good first round (which he won in my opinion), but Nick's cardio, pressure and endless barrages of quickfire combinations proved too much for the plucky Hawaiian. I respect BJ's heart and chin but if that fight had been five rounds we would've seen a stoppage. Really interesting that Nick now leapfrogs Carlos Condit for the next shot at GSP. Apparently Condit "agreed" to step aside. That's like getting an offer from the mafia that you can't refuse. He must be gutted (although I'd be surprised if the UFC didn't give him some form of financial sweetener). Nick was pretty clever calling out GSP after the fight and in fairness it is the fight that we all want to see. GSP also needed to look like he wasn't avoiding Diaz, it's like standing up to the school yard bully...you can't put it off. I think the one remaining question mark hanging over Diaz is his ability to handle an elite MMA wrestler. That question will be answered one way or another in the GSP fight. The rest of the card was just ok for me. Cerrone looked great. Kongo proved to be the really solid gatekeeper that he is and Mitrione will have to go away and learn from that performance. I hope that Mirko is genuinely serious about retiring this time.....I hope that BJ will reconsider, he still has something to offer.

No comments:

Post a Comment